Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Last day

Today I played the most interesting game of Tetris imaginable, trying to fit all of my clothes, books, and purchases into my bag. However if anyone is counting, I got the high score.

After my packing endeavor we headed to a school in Soweto to visit and try to see a glimpse of what the education system is today in South Africa (as opposed to Bantu education under the apartheid government). As we walked through the gates of the school complex, the kids sang to us in english proud to demonstrate their skills and proficiency. We felt like celebrities among these kids. They jumped on us, touched our hair, tried on our sunglasses, and more. We were the center of their attention.
Beyond songs, they had prepared skits for us to watch that mixed English and traditional dancing. Half way through our skits, an actual local celebrity appeared in our midst. General Muzka is famous in Mizambique and among the Shangaan here is South Africa and Lesotho. We played his most famous song and danced together in their field. I will never forget this moment. The innocent and jubilant smiles and laughter of these students warmed my heart but make it even harder to be leaving tonight.
After school, we visited the home of our driver Sam in Soweto. His home is large and ornate compared to most in his neighborhood but he has worked for every roof tile and paving stone. Sam told me that I am his Shangaan son. When we were at his house, his family had already been told this was the case. His son Happy who is six years old sat next to me, called me brother, leaned his head against my shoulder, closed his eyes, and wrapped an arm around my body. When I had to leave for the airport and went to stand up, he was not happy.
The ride to the airport was bittersweet. To say that I'm leaving South Africa is sad would be an understatement. But I will be happy to go home and see my family again. It's going to take me a while to process everything that I have experienced here. Cultural Anthropology allows that family can be both genetic and made. Sam has truly had a profound influence on me over the past month. I hope that I will return to see my family here soon.
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment